Reading: Real Men Eat Haggis
Real Men Eat Haggis
[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Wooden crests. Deep-fried Mars bars. Tartan everything.
But what better way to celebrate Scottish week than a steaming helping of Highland-inspired cuisine. Sure haggis might be part of the world’s most unattractive food group, but once served, it’s easy to forget that it’s really just a giant sausage over-stuffed with everything under the sun. God damn is it good.
Chef John Higgins haggis recipe pairs perfectly with the toasted malt and toffee notes of Innis & Gunn. Treat yourself to a second beer if you’re still having a hard time *ahem* stomaching the thought of offal.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]INGREDIENTS[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”1/2″][vc_column_text]1 sheep’s pluck (heart, liver, lungs, kidney fat), roughly chopped
1 beef bung cap (or sheep stomach),
pre-soaked to remove salt
4 large onions, roughly chopped
1 kg steel cut oats[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][vc_column width=”1/2″][vc_column_text]8 tbsp. ground allspice
4 tbsp. dried thyme
8 tbsp. black pepper
lamb or beef stock (as needed)
salt to taste[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]METHOD
1. In a large pot, render the kidney fat and add both the sheep’s pluck and onions.
2. Add a pinch of salt and cook until organs are cooked through (approx. 20 mins).
3. Pass mixture including all juices through a fine meat grinder plate.
4. Return mixture to the pot, adding oats and spices (note: mixture should be thick but not dry, add stock as required to keep moist).
5. Cook mixture until the oats are tender.
6. Season aggressively with black pepper and salt to taste.
7. While still warm, load the mixture into a sausage stuffer and fill the casing.
8. Bake for one hour in a moderately heated oven (350˚F) and serve with bashed neeps and champit tatties.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][symple_button url=”http://innisandgunn.com” size=”medium” rel=”” icon_left=”” icon_right=”” border_radius=”3px”]SUGGESTED PAIRING // INNIS & GUNN ORIGINAL[/symple_button][/vc_column][/vc_row]